Re: Possible Contributions

On Di, 2005-01-11 at 18:04 +0000, Jens Granseuer wrote:

[... scroll without edge-clicking ...]
> I don't know if there's a sane way to do that without very intrusive
> changes. The problem is that both of these tasks are time-based. CF
> uses an event-based event loop instead of a time-based one, though
> (ie. we don't poll the event queue all the time but wait for something
> to happen before taking action). But give it a try. Stuff like
> animations could benefit from your findings...

Yes I was trapped by this thinking over a way to do this thing :-)

Animations ... You do not mean the movement of units I assume ... I like
the idea of animated units (and buildings or other map elemnts too) very
much, but I fear the effort of doing the graphics for this.

> (If you rip out the event handling and replace it with a time-based
> loop I might be interested too, but that's probably a little out of
> scope.)

Maybe not ... it's a very interesting problem to solve.

> For stuff that's obviously only interesting for you there's not much
> use in sending it to the list. Feel free to send me a copy, though.
> We might both learn from it.

I will clean up a few things and then send it directly to you.

> > > And there are a few things I'm not sure how to do (like network play)
> >
> > I have thought about this a little bit. The simplest way may be to use a
> > simple socket an push the saved games files over like in e-mail games.
>
> At the very least it's probably the easiest way to get it up and running.
> Have you already done some network programming? This is one particular
> area which I'm not at all comfortable with.

This is another interesting thing ... I will give it a higher priority
on my list! It's not a small thing, but this week I finish some other
projects (to earn money for :) and then there is time to work on this
issue. Yes, that's my favorite ...

> > What's wrong with the file dialog?
>
> For crimson, it's fine. For comet, it would be nice if it supported
> changing directories, for example. Or automatically selecting entries
> when you type a name.

Ah, ok, I have seen it ... yes that's ... hm .. um ... "a problem" :-)

> It's not just the effort needed to implement the engine feature. I
> also think that you probably have to think harder about how to use
> your airforce with the current rules than when you could simply fly
> over everyone. Aircraft are very valuable but you need to use them
> carefully or you'll not use them for long. I believe not having
> this fly-over feature in no way reduces tactical options available to
> you. It just makes the process a little different, and I like it that
> way. So even if I could get fly-over by snapping my fingers I wouldn't
> want it.

Yes and no ... It's a tactical challenge to use aircrafts with this
limitation, but my first feeling about this was that's a little bit a
artificial challenge. But I can live with this ... until I have time to
implement an option to activate fly-over :-) ... Don't count on happen
this soon!

Regards, Sascha.