Re: [f-cpu] [Fwd: [ff] f-cpu et savannah]

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:40:54PM +0200, REYNES Philippe wrote:
[...]
> First, I have to present me a bit.
> I'm a french computer science student, I study processor architecture.
> I try to understand this project, where you are and where you go.

Bonjour Philippe, nice to meet you.

> My main problem was to gather all f-cpu information. It isn't very easy.
> My second problem was, who works on what ?
> who makes the architecture, the design, ..... !!! who takes decision ???
> It's the reason of my proposition to use savannah and his task manager.
> I think that this project need a bit of managing.

I suggest a meta-manager who manages the management :)

> > >  What we really need is *one* central site which has basically
> > > everything, *one* mailing list, and no WWW clicky-clacky GUI, please
> > You mean seul.org?
>
> > That means that all the web sites should be moved, the cvs repository
> > should be moved either and the french and german mailing-list should be
> > closed. It also means that there might be a single point of failure
> > which frightened whygee (that's not surprising after the yahoo
> > problems)
>
> well, yes and not !!!

I'd rather not move the CVS now that we have it.  It was supposed to be
on seul.org, but it's fine the way it is.  We can mirror it somewhere
to avoid the SPOF, though (read-only).

The english mailing list on seul is fine, too.  There's no need to move
it again.  The french and german lists need not be closed, but I ask
people again and again to move important discussions to the english list.
I feel a little bit lost here, sometimes.

There should be a single, central website that is easy to find (probably
www.f-cpu.org) and has links to everything -- the CVS, the mailing list(s),
websites of national organizations (like the "F-CPU Verein" in Germany)
and so on.  Any other websites we may have should be redirected to this
main entry point, to ease maintenance.  I really don't care on which
host and in which country the CVS repository and the mailing lists are
located, as long as there is a single "portal" site that leads people
everywhere they want.

[...]
> As I said up, I think that we (this project) need to managed more.
> Some people works on everything, some people works on nothing.

Is that a problem?  I'm pretty glad that at least somebody works on
something ;)

> I have worked on another project (v2os) and it was clear that many
> people
> want (or need) to be led.

Sorry, but I don't like being `led'.  The very day this project is
going to become `led' by somebody (group or individual), it's also going
to lose one of its contributors -- me.

[...]
> As I have proposed it on the french ML (forwarded by yg), I propose:
> - to split this big project on sub-project
>  * architecture (and simulator)
>  * design
>  * compiler
>  * system (port linux to f-cpu processor)

I guess I have my fingers in 3 of 4 pies already -- and the only reason
why I don't have them in all of them is that the Linux port didn't start
yet ;)

> to anwser yg's question, manuel are part of each sub-project.
> architecture group make the architecture manual, and so on ...
>
> - to put a leader (manager) to each sub-project. This isn't a boss but a
> manager. His job would be to gather information (who works on what, last
> manual, ..).

And what is (s)he going to do with that information?

> I said it again, It woun't be a boss, we are in an open source project
> but
> wasting time isn't nice and necessary.
> For example:
> architecture leader -> yg
> design leader -> mikael
> compiler leader -> nic0
> system leader -> dunno

What we really need is a `speaker', a PR agent -- somebody who watches
the project (but does not participate in any of these sub-projects),
reports the latest-and-greatest facts and details on the website, talks to
the outer world (companies, organizations, the press), answers questions
and so on.

This is something I definitely don't want to do myself.  It's not
the sexiest job either.  But perhaps it helps cleaning up the mess --
and it gives people like me a chance to do what we're really good at,
without being disturbed or interrupted too much.  Find me somebody who
keeps people off my back, and I can work wonders (like writing an
almost complete assembler in less than a week ;).

[...]
> PS: sorry for my english, I'm a little frenchy :(

It's much better than my french, believe me ;)