Re: [f-cpu] F-CPU architecture...

Yann Guidon wrote:
I was just reading Knuth's "Art of computer programing" that sounds like
Coroutines to me. I think by the time he updates his books from 1960's
era of computing to something new we still will be looking at 1990's era
of computing.
Looking at the older hardware you had a large amount
computers using decimal arithmetic rather than binary logic. Now days
you are stuck with 2's compliment math and it has several disadvantages

Take great care with negative numbers like 2^8, 2^16 , 2^32 ... .
which are ?

and as well as advantages as compared to other number systems and as in hardware designs . You still have people doing computer science with may other ways of looking at computing and that may be the way of future with the F-cpu.

so ... what ?

You have a clean piece of paper to design from. A few simple new ideas may be what it takes to change computer algorithms used and may give a better design than copying blindly just what is done. Looking at the old F-cpu design is the model of the cpu design well understood? Can you list the advantages and disadvantages of the model compared to other design models. This may be the time to try different models of operation. Remember RISC machines calculate effective addresses well,they don't often do other operations better other than a side effect of the design.

Ben alias woodelf
PS. The thread idea is that for general tasks or just kernal tasks?
Also threads  often need a hardware timer for many operations too.