Re: gEDA-user: Re: change from ngspice to gnucap

Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:

Even billion dollar tool creators like Cadence don't manage to make simulation front-ends which really help the designers. A simulator front-end does not need to be fancy, but it has to support a lot of simulator options. And since there are at least more than two simulators, you would have to make the front-end modular to support whatever the end-user like to use. And that's when the fun stops.

I don't think I understand where that comment is coming from. Cadence has a simulation front-end which really isn't that bad and it has lots of things which are very helpful to designers. Backannotation of dc node voltages and operating points for example are extremely useful. It is pretty easy to set up and run many smaller scale simulations through their GUI. The GUI can also write out the script which would perform the simulation you've configured. Makes for a nice way to get started when you need more out of the simulation. And, yes, cadence supports multiple simulators. They're not perfect by a long shot, but we could learn a lot from them.

-Dan