Re: gEDA-user: boards: three more usb-gpio pods

> I was just looking at your four layer boards and see that you said
> you used 13.5 mil vias.  Do you mean you did plated thru holes?

No.

> How did you do the vias on your homemade board?  They look so
> professional.

They wouldn't look so good up close.  Each via is drilled with a 13.5
mil drill, and a short wire is inserted and soldered on both sides.  I
use either wire wrapping wire, or a strand from some destranded
speaker wire.  When done, each vias has a tiny blob of solder on it
and nothing else shows.

For the four-layer board, vias connecting to the inner layers are a
bit trickier.  For those, I pre-drill the outer FR4 layers before
combining them, to about 25 mil or more, on the same side as the
connected inner layer.  That's enough room to get my iron in there and
solder the wire to it.  It takes some planning to make sure there's
enough room to make the bigger holes, and keep track of which
pre-drills you need to do.