Re: gEDA-user: A little puzzled about the purpose of gschem

On Apr 28, 2010, at 2:20 PM, Bas Gieltjes wrote:

>> We already have specialized kludges in gnetlist to support VAMS. One worthy
>> project would be to rewrite these in Guile in the VAMS back end, perhaps
>> refactoring gnetlist to support this.
>
> Let me see the vams code...
>
> Boehhoee, that's about 60 lines of code that gives you reduced
> functionality!

The road to Hell is taken in single steps.

> But I see an opportunity for you: rename those two functions to
> something generic, maybe even create _one_ function. Less is more!
>
> Don't forget to change g_register.c, prototype.h and put the old vams
> function name in gnetlist.scm, please make users aware that the vams
> function is deprecated (e.g. display a message).

Nah, just move it into the back end.

> You didn't forget to
> change the Makefile.in before compilation?
>
> More importantly: when you change the function names, put some doxygen
> comments above the function. Oh, move it to g_netlist.c. One source
> file less and increased flexi-functionality!
>
> When you are there, you could document all your familiar gnetlist/guile
> procedures.

Been working on that.

> I'm wondering what scary things you find in g_netlist.c
> when you are writing documentation for that part of the gnetlist
> interface. You don't forget to document g_rc.c when completing the
> documentation? Finally gnetlist gets a documented interface, really
> useful for new script writers.

Yep, it's a lot of work, not made easier by having too much code on the C side.

> Yeah, gnetlist gets some love from mr. Doty! Or not...

It won't get as much as it really needs. Still, it's a remarkably good tool.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx