Re: gEDA-user: RFC using SVG with semantic markup as an EDA format

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 23:18 +0800, Steven Michalske wrote:
> This is what I see as a benefit. If you go to a vendor's website you
> will find one or two EDA footprint and symbol files.  But nothing that
> was a bell ringer for commonality.  It would be nice to have a
> universal starting point.
>
> There is EDIF but I see EDIF as not being so useful, i think they
> tried to do too many things, and failed to get them all correct. As
> one file format to rule them all.
>
> I rather see svg symbol format, svg footprint format, and svg.... format.
>
> Steve

For svg footprints we have two problems: We always have to convert it to
old gerber format before sending to manufacturer. (Or to another format
which manufacturers support, I think no one currently supports svg.) And
if we scale footprints, we should not to forget to scale our (real word)
components with the same factor. Of course, would be fine: If our case
is too small for our device, just scale the whole thing down. :-)