Re: gEDA-user: RFC using SVG with semantic markup as an EDA format

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 23:18 +0800, Steven Michalske wrote:
>> This is what I see as a benefit. If you go to a vendor's website you
>> will find one or two EDA footprint and symbol files.  But nothing that
>> was a bell ringer for commonality.  It would be nice to have a
>> universal starting point.
>>
>> There is EDIF but I see EDIF as not being so useful, i think they
>> tried to do too many things, and failed to get them all correct. As
>> one file format to rule them all.
>>
>> I rather see svg symbol format, svg footprint format, and svg.... format.
>>
>> Steve
>
> For svg footprints we have two problems: We always have to convert it to
> old gerber format before sending to manufacturer. (Or to another format
> which manufacturers support, I think no one currently supports svg.) And
> if we scale footprints, we should not to forget to scale our (real word)
> components with the same factor. Of course, would be fine: If our case
> is too small for our device, just scale the whole thing down. :-)

Same exists for out current footprints,  they need to be converted to
gerbers via pcb.

basically

svg -> converter -> pcb fp format -> pcb -> gerber
--or--
pcb fp -> svg
--or--
vendor x -> converter -> svg -> converter -> pcb fp

It would be nice to scale the solder masks and the solder paste
layers.....  for process dependencies.

Steve