Re: gEDA-user: pcb-20100929 released

On 04/19/2011 04:39 AM, Duncan Drennan wrote:
> A question in this regard - if I rebuild a library (e.g. gtk+) do I
> then need to rebuild all the packages which come after it in the
> build-all.sh script?

It depends. Rebuilding only the library should work when upgrading it to
a newer version, but it is not guaranteed to work when downgrading.

> How exactly do they all related to each other
> during the build process?

Configure scripts in later packages look for dependencies (header files
and import libraries) installed earlier. They check these libraries for
the existence of symbols to be linked with.

A new version of a library may have symbols not present in earlier
versions of the same library. This can possibly cause a missing symbol
error when downgrading the library.

On the other hand, library upgrades do not usually remove symbols, so it
is OK to simply drop an upgraded version. When the library either remove
symbols or changes their semantics, it should change its own installed
file name by incrementing a version number, so conflicts do not arise.

By following these guidelines, the so called "DLL hell" can be avoided
entirely.

Regards,

Cesar