Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meetings at MIT starting this September!

On Aug 22, 2004, at 2:45 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

But "reflow soldering" is much more practical. I'm gearing up for that here right now. You take "solder paste" (a mix of finely powdered solder and flux) and apply it to SMT pads with a syringe.
At least one PCB proto house has a deal on solder stencils-- thin sheets of metal (stainless steel, IIRC) which you place over your board, and spread the solder paste across with a squeegee. From there, it's just as Dave described.

I wish I could remember the URL, but I bet half an hour or less with Google would turn something up.

Also, on the reflow topic, here's a description of soldering BGAs at home:

http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~jasmith/mpc555/faq.html#SolderOven

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@ghz.cc