Re: gEDA-user: Next spin of CD installer available

On Sunday 28 August 2005 05:40 am, Daniel J Wisehart wrote:

> Everything compiled and installed up to PCB.  PCB failed:
>
> checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4.0... Requested 'gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4.0' but version
> of GTK+ is 2.2.4
> configure: error: Cannot find gtk+ >= 2.4.0, install it and rerun
> ./configure Failure executing command ./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local/bin/geda-install, ReturnCode = 1
>
> I wish I knew where to get the gtk binary release for SuSE 9.1.  Building
> it from the sources does not sound fun.

You are right building the gtk binary is not fun at all.  I have been trying
to build the gtk binary under Cygwin for days.  There seems to be a circular
dependency.  You have to have it installed before the build system will build
it.  Seems to be a problem between different distributions, as I have no
problem building it on my Gentoo box.

Before you can even try to build gtk you have to install a bunch of other
dependencies like ATK, Pango, etc.  They are described on the gtk site, and I
have had no problem building any of those.

Cygwin does have GTK+-X11 which is the latests 2.8.1 GTK build, but I have not
figured out how to get PCB to use that version.  Anyone have any insight to
doing that?  Maybe SuSE would have that as well?

From looking at the GTK site trying to find a solution it looks like an other
release of GTK will be coming soon because of a bug in the last release.