Re: gEDA-user: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 10:41:49 -0500, John Griessen wrote:
>
>>  http://www.edn.com/article/CA6666236.html?text=improving+on+pcb+design
>
> Somewhere in the interview they mention the use of spreadsheets to
> manipulate symbols in a schematic.

I thought it was spreadsheet sifted layout data...a great paradigm for layout
where netlist and BOM lists need to be merged to get it done...
I was looking into this some more and read that the version Cadence OrCad bought
to be Orcad Layout is gone in favor of a stripped version of the
IC layout tools called Allegro based on LISP/Cadence Skill language...
so the tools bragged about in the article are nowhere now it seems!

There don't seem to be any freeware limited versions of Orcad Layout
at http://www.cadence.com/orcad/ just a mention that Orcad Layout was EOL phased out March 2009.
  Anyone know where to get an old demo version?  I'd
like to run it and look at it if it installs without logging you into Cadence to get the new version....

  From the user point of view, it should be part of
> the GUI just like the edit object dialog is. In a sense, it is and should
> feel like a multi symbol attribute dialog.
>
> Are there plans to push gattrib toward this direction?

Not yet.  Just trying to foster discussion for planning purposes.

Like this:
==================
John Doty wrote:
 > On Aug 2, 2009, at 11:27 AM, Jason Childs wrote:
 >>   The code base needs some serious refactoring
 >
 > I agree here. But a qualification for a refactoring of gnetlist, for
 > example, is writing and using custom back ends. If you haven't done
 > that, you will never understand gnetlist's strengths, and you'll lose
 > them.

 >> advance and you need a programming team to do that work, not users,
 >> however savvy they are.
 >
 > Programmers who aren't users will solve the wrong problems.

I refuse to believe there's no team at all, it's just a really
loosely connected one since there's no boss, and no paychecks involved... :-)

John