Re: gEDA-user: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 10:41:49 -0500, John Griessen wrote:
>

>>  http://www.edn.com/article/CA6666236.html?text=improving+on+pcb+design
>>

> Somewhere in the interview they mention the use of spreadsheets to
> manipulate symbols in a schematic. I guess, this is, what inspired
> gattrib. However, to be really useful during schematic capture, the
> spreadsheet needs to communicate more directly with the primary GUI. It
> needs to be called from the GUI on selected parts only. And it must
> prevent conflicts between the data in the spreadsheet and the data shown
> in the schematic GUI. From the user point of view, it should be part of
> the GUI just like the edit object dialog is. In a sense, it is and should
> feel like a multi symbol attribute dialog.

That's exactly the kind of stuff that becomes possible--- but in a
flexible way--- when you emulate what was done with the GNU debugger,
gdb, a few years ago.  The refactored to put their core functionality
behind a layer that could be utilized by a GUI without that GUI being
tightly coupled to the internals of the code.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx