Re: gEDA-user: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

Jason Childs wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM, John Doty<jpd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> We're not a programming team implementing what Marketing wants. We're
>> a bunch of computer-savvy users implementing what we intend to use.
>> That's our strength. That's why gEDA is different. That's why gEDA is
>> a sharp toolkit for the computer-savvy.
>>

> So is this why my simple bsearch patch for hid's hasn't been
> incorporated in 3 months? I have to apply it every time I do a pull
> from pcb git so that it doesn't segfault.  I'm sorry, but the tone as
> of late on the mailing list has been "our way or the highway", at
> least from what I've read and encountered on the mailing list.  Heck
> I've been afraid to post using gMail for fear of getting kicked from
> the mailing list because of double posting or posting in RTF.  Frankly
> if you can't see the current problems within the geda community that's
> ashame, because it's a reflection of the product too and why thing's
> haven't advanced.

I'm a relatively late arrival to the geda community, so I can't comment
on any trends (and I come from the Linux kernel community, who is openly
hostile towards pretty much everyone so I have an unusually thick
skin).  But I definitely sense a lot of resistance to change.

I have a hunch that some of the ambivalence comes from, "It was hard
enough to get things to this point!"-thinking.  And it's also obvious
that many members of the community have a substantial investment in the
way geda works today that nobody wants to see invalidated.

Tough spot to be in, methinks.  :)  And not one that someone with the
skills and initiative would be able to challenge without making it a
full-time assignment.  And who can financially afford that?

I'm a freelancer who uses a lot of the tools I write, I'd love a
1-man-year contract to clean up geda and pcb.  But I bet I'm not the
only one who would--- and that's the kind of effort we're talking about
here.  Any givers?

> I thought when I converted the gaf source
> from using noweb it would open up a whole new opportunity for actual
> software developers to start contributing, and I now regret the time I
> lost doing it.

I'm not familiar with your effort, but I'm certain it laid the
groundwork for the refactoring that you desire.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx