Re: gEDA-user: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

On Aug 2, 2009, at 5:41 PM, Bill Gatliff wrote:

> John Doty wrote:
>>
>> 1. pcb is not the only layout tool gEDA supports.
>>

> Can you suggest some others?

Look at the list of gnetlist back ends. My customers usually have
their favored layout designers or contractors, with their favored
tools, so I export whatever they want. For my VLSI work, that's a
stripped-down hierarchical SPICE netlist that I generate with the
spice-sdb back end (thanks, Stuart) and a Makefile that cat's the
pieces together.

In other cases I've had to write my own back ends. I thoroughly
appreciate how easy this is. The Osmond and Calay back ends I wrote
are part of the regular distribution. Osmand was particularly easy
because they fully document their netlist format: no guesswork required.

I also have a gnetlist back end for Lincoln Laboratory's old PH70 PCB
layout tool, but as I believe the last user of that has retired, I
don't suppose it's worth distributing ;-)

I've been using gEDA since 2002, but I've never used pcb. That may
change in the near future: there are a couple of potential projects
coming up where I expect to do my own layout. Nice to know it's there.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx