Re: gEDA-user: gEDA just hit SlashDotOrg

Bill Gatliff wrote:
> John Doty wrote:
>> 1. pcb is not the only layout tool gEDA supports.
>>

> Can you suggest some others?

there are a huge number of gnetlist backends.  some for layout, some for
simulation, some for information.

But one example is PADS.  At one time (perhaps still) a pads schematic
license cost extra over the layout license.  I've been in a situation
where I needed to drive a pads layout and gschem worked quite easily for
that.  Thats why the pads_backannotate script comes with gEDA.

Why would you do this today?  Maybe you have a contract layout person
who uses pads, maybe you have a large vetted footprint library in pads
in house, maybe political pressures dictate it.  In any event, its a
nice feature.

-Dan