Re: gEDA-user: Progress with unified build

On Aug 8, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Dan McMahill wrote:

> - you may want to have a set of symbols which include the footprint
> name
> already (search for "heavy symbol" in the archives or wiki).
> Others may
> not want this.  It is a personal preference thing and people tend to
> have strong opinions over which way is best.

I think it's a little more than personal preference. Adding
attributes piecemeal to library symbols is quick and easy for small
projects, but scales poorly to related collections of big projects.
It's like software: a very simple C program is sensibly a single
file, but bigger codes benefit from being split into reusable modules
and header files. The analogy *.c -> *.sch and *.h -> *.sym is a way
to understand this.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx