Re: gEDA-user: Progress with unified build

Jason wrote:
> Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>> I use my own symbols only, anyway.
>>

> Having just made my first symbol for my first project (pic10f202), I
> have to ask, why?  Does this include all the way down to rolling your
> own resistors?  Is it for legal (IP) reasons, or technical (prefer
> everything in mm)?

While I shouldn't speak for Kai-Martin, I can offer some reasons that I
and others have had for this.

- you may have a preference for how they look.  For example, I want my
symbols to somehow represent what a part is instead of just being a box.
  Others may prefer a more compact box.

- you may want to have a set of symbols which include the footprint name
already (search for "heavy symbol" in the archives or wiki).  Others may
not want this.  It is a personal preference thing and people tend to
have strong opinions over which way is best.

- you may want to build up a library of symbols that you personally have
verified to be correct.  I've been burned by trusting a library that
came with a high dollar commercial EDA tool.  Don't plan on doing that
again.

- you may have your own naming convention that you want to enforce

- you may have a policy/desire on power/ground pins being explicit (i.e.
shown schematically) or implicit (not shown schematically).

- others ?

What I tend to do is use the resistors and capacitors from the shipped
library but largely use my own symbols for other components..

hope this helps.

-Dan