Re: gEDA-user: Turning off gerber Poly Fill for square pads

Stefan Petersen wrote:
> Maybe I go out on a limb here, there is a program called pcb2gcode at
[snip]
> Haven't tried it though, found it three days ago and I am interested in
> a user report on it.

I have now downloaded it from SVN, compiled and tested it. I have an
Ubuntu 8.10 and for obvious reasons gerbv compiles on it. ;)

I also downloaded emc2 from git repository and complied it as a
simulator target. Before I realized I needed the bwidget package it took
some frustration. Else emc2 seems targeted at Ubuntu and also has a
liveCD based on Ubuntu with everything on.

I used the examples from gerbv as samples. They are quite big and
complicated. In very many cases, the program either segfaulted or
tripped an assert in the program. One of the examples that actually
worked was l1-1.grb and that is two polygons in G36-G37. So that
actually works, though it seems to be other issues.

After a while I also found DJ's laminater where he kindly left some
Gerbers. I tried laminator.front.gbr and that worked too. It is kind of
complicated layout, not as the simple sample/test layouts. That proves
G36 from PCB works too.

In the cases it worked it was quite cool to be able to run pcb2gcode,
load the generated file into emc2 and see and 3D rendered drill sweeping
across the board milling out the traces from the gerber.

Anyhow, I think this pcb2gcode has potential, given some time and maybe
some helpful hands. That is at least what I think.

Regards,
/Stefan