Re: gEDA-user: Method to create symbol for enhanced ICs with many pins

Kevin Vermeer wrote:

> kaimartin, are you saying that simply swapping the positions (just the
> Y components, even) of a pin on a symbol will cause gnetlist to break?

No. I Am talking about the position in the *.sch file. Not about the
position inside the symbol.

It's a completely different scenario:
Imagine a component split in two symbols. Say, a function symbol and a power
symbol. You place both of them on the schematic and set their refdes
attribute to the same value. The power symbol gets the footprint attribute
and the value attribute. The identical refdes will make gnetlist treat the
two symbols as one component -- This is good.

Now for the catch: gnetlist does not scan all of the symbols of the set for
detached attributes. It just looks at the symbol that happens to be the
first in the file. If this is the power symbol everything is fine, because
it contains the two necessary detached attributes. But if by chance the
function symbol comes fist, no footprint attribute is found and no value
attribute either.

Which symbol is first in the file depends on the order you added the symbols
to the schematic. So, depending on your habits, the problem will show
sometimes, always, or never. This is a bug(*) known for years.

---<)kaimartin(>---
(*) Some prefer to call it "room for improvement"
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
UniversitÃt Hannover, Inst. fÃr Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211