Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 11:33 -0600, John Doty wrote:

> Classification is opposed to modular, orthogonal design. Don't
> classify, describe. Impedance, current handling capability, maximum
> length, etc. are independent properties. gEDA's attribute-oriented
> design makes this quite natural.
>
> Do not start from GUI and torque the design around according to that.
> Find a well-factored, orthogonal description of the problem space and
> then worry about capturing it graphically if necessary. Be hard-nosed
> about the "if necessary".

Modular, orthogonal design is fine.

A tractor is a fine versatile device, connected with a hanger we have a
powerful tool for carrying load. Really modular, with a well defined
interface. But many people prefer cars for the transport of people, and
trucks for the transport of load.

I think there can exist cases where modular, orthogonal design can
generate more trouble than benefit. gschem and PCB may be such a case, I
am not sure. I know that we have attributes in gschem. Unfortunately  we
need gnetlist with guile to transfer information. This is fine when we
only generate a netlist from schematic and read that netlist into PCB.
But I think we should transfer much more information from gschem to PCB
program, and maybe back, pin swap and back annotation.

Best regards.

Stefan Salewski