Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 02:32:33PM +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> These "Maximum Distance between OpAmp and bypass Cap" problem is really
> a special but important case. It is more related to two pads/pins than
> to nets.

I agree, but on a high level a net /is/ "a relation between two pads/pins".
(Well, a net can have many pads/pins. A subnet would be restricted to two,
by definition.)

So I don't think we want to introduce a new kind of relationship. It would
be confusing and unnecessary.

>         We can click in gschem on a pair of tow pins to mark this pair
> with the condition "Max Distance = ...". Autoplacer can use this
> information in PCB program. RatsNest lines in PCB can specially mark
> these pin pairs. And after we have routed our board DRC check may verify
> if these maximum distances restrictions are fulfilled.

Again, it looks like storing max distance as a net attribute (or subnet
attribute) would be a cleaner design than trying to fit an attribute onto
"two pads or pins".

> The big problem is again how to transfer netclass information from
> gschem to PCB (and maybe back). I really have no good idea and my Unix
> programming skills are too weak. Saving and loading files is simple, but
> not really nice in my opinion...

Well, the modular design of the gEDA suite dictates that we use simple
files for storing information and sharing them between programs. That
way you can replace any individual program with a better one, in theory
at least.

Andrew