Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:33:57AM -0600, John Doty wrote:

> Nothing new needs to be added to gschem: you can attach arbitrary attributes to net segments already.
>
> The place where you need a new capability is gnetlist: a gnetlist back end cannot currently query a
> net segment for its attributes.

Having classes as a collection of common attributes would be useful.
Though you are correct - there is no need for them, in order to start
storing DRC rules in nets.

> Classification is opposed to modular, orthogonal design. Don't classify, describe.
> Impedance, current handling capability, maximum length, etc. are independent properties.
> gEDA's attribute-oriented design makes this quite natural.

Suppose that a "class" is merely a collection of attributes. So you can
assign classes to nets, and the net will take on the class attributes.
And of course, you can override individual attributes for specific nets,
or not use classes at all, if you want.

It would be much like classes in CSS.

> Do not start from GUI and torque the design around according to that. Find a
> well-factored, orthogonal description of the problem space and then worry
> about capturing it graphically if necessary. Be hard-nosed about the "if necessary".

On some level, PCB design is a graphical art. So there is importance to
making sure features map cleanly onto a GUI. Especially since in this
case, we aren't really talking about board features, but about features
to simplify the design process.

Andrew