Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

John Doty wrote:

>> Unfortunately  we
>> need gnetlist with guile to transfer information.
>
> Gnetlist is the *key* utility in the flow.

It is just the glue between major components. No need to glorify this role.

> That's what makes it possible
> for gEDA to support abstract circuit analysis, simulation, VLSI design,

However, currently everything except for pcb design is only marginally
useful. Simulation is still so weakly supported that it can only be
recommended to enthusiasts.

> If gEDA wasn't so flexible, pcb couldn't use it for schematic capture,
> because pcb has nothing like that flexibility.

geda and pcb coevolved.
It is pointless to speculate what one would be without the other.

> Guile? An implementation of Scheme, one of the simplest, easiest to learn
> programming languages around. A major factor in gEDA's radical
> flexibility.

It is a major factor in gedas near stagnation during the last five years.
The pool of scheme hackers among the candidate geda hackers is, well, small.
As appropriate as the language may be, it blocks me and others to start
hacking. In addition the internal API between the C and the scheme component
lacks documentation.

> Without the capability "gnetlist with guile" brings here, neither you nor
> I would be using gEDA.

Nope.
There would be some other scheme(*) to derive netlists from schematics.
Probably a more flexible scheme that allows for back annotation, too.
(*): Pun intended ;-)

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak