Re: gEDA-user: Commercial CAD, land pattern generators report

Dave N6NZ wrote:
I don't know much about 3D file formats.  I know stl is basically a bag of triangles, and I think stl is also.  So while you can communicate a hull, you can't do much more. No parametric information, no material information, no joint information, etc.  Not sure about iges, I know pretty much nothing about it.
IGES is an old US military standard. It means 'Initial Graphics Exchange Specification' and the specification for it is freely available, since it's a work from a US government agency (I got it ;-). As the name says, it was meant as preliminary work, but served
it's purpose for decades. Now it's being replaced by STEP...

For the reason that STEP costs a lot of money, I wonder how the FreeCAD guys
want to keep the promisse to provide import and export for it - maybe a feature
of the OpenCASCADE kernel - but how did they?