Re: gEDA-user: Commercial CAD, land pattern generators report

John Doty wrote:
GPL does not restrict your use of my code, but if you wish to distribute my GPL code under the GPL terms, you must abide by those terms.
If I'm using your library licensed with GPL in a proprietary application of mine, this is forbidden,
right?
But the GPL does not restrict the owner of code in any way. If you wish to distribute my code under other terms, you can negotiate with me. My code is my code: I can do as I please with it. I can grant you any kind of license to use my code (and I would if the price was right).
Now let's assume I release a library under GPL that constitutes significant work and happen to base a proprietary application on it. So far so good, since I'm the only holder of copyleft and can grant myself
whatever other license I see fit.

Now you detect a bug, fix it and add a convenience function I find really cool. You place your copyright
notice into the convenience file and upload it to, say, sourceforge.
I think I have the following options then:

a) fix the bug myself and reinvent your convenience function which is questionable b) re-release my library under LGPL and ask you to resubmit the patch with same license
c) open source or shred my application

Right?
For this reason, I will release code I share with LGPL or BSD license in the forseable future,
unless it's an application I want to share from now on.