Re: gEDA-user: Layer selective DRC

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 01:48:09 +0200
Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Colin D Bennett wrote:
>
> > A feature I have heard previously requested is to be able to mark
> > certain layers as âno-DRCâ.  For instance, to allow special trace
> > elements such as antennas that the DRC thinks are incorrect shorts
> > between two nets.
>
> These should be omited from update_rats, rather than be ignored on
> DRC. The DRC as it is currently implemented, does not check for
> correct connectivty. It does not detect a short.

Oh, that's right.  I forgot since I tend to consider the Optimize Rats
action and its feedback as a first pass of DRC, and the actual DRC
action as a more detailed pass... but it seems like it would be ideal
for a short to be detected by DRC.

> I think, this
> functionality would be best implemented with a flag
> "don-t-check-connectivity" added to the object. Put these antennas in
> a separate layer and make DRC special for this layer would still feel
> like a crutch.

My current workaround is to actually connect the antenna input
directly to ground on the schematic, so that pcb does not complain that
the PCB trace antenna is a short.  (See attached figure from the
schematic.)  For this specific and simple purpose, this works well
enough for the moment.

Regards,
Colin