Re: gEDA-user: Commandline option --menu-file

Felix Ruoff wrote:

> I came to the point, where I think, a 'mixed menu generation' would be
> nice. A lot of fixed menu-items, hard coded, for all this items like
> 'Open', 'Copy', ..., and some menu-items generated by (g)pcb-menu.res.

IMHO, there are different, only loosly related aspects to the menu topic:

1) Order:
   a) Currently, many items are not quite where de facto standards
    would have them.
   b) Some items like those that implement find-features are almost hidden.
   c) Some frequently used items are on second level, which means unnecessary
    hassle.

2) Completeness:
   a) There are some features that cannot be accessed via the menu
   b) Some actions can

3) Technique:
  a) No way to grey-out menu items when not applicable.
  b) No way to insert a menu item with a plug-in
  c) Standard GTK accel key modification on the fly does not quite work
  d) While menues can be ripped off and used as a toolbox, they don't
  remember their state beyond the end of the session. This essentially
  prevents persistent user configuration of the GUI.

---<)kaiamrtin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211