Re: gEDA-user: pcb HID GUI options: gtk, lesstif?

Colin D Bennett wrote:

>> The lesstif tear-off model isn't so hot either.  I've been considering
>> writing my own from scratch to work around some of the weirdisms.
>
> I used the tear-offs for grid size when it worked, so I could quickly
> switch back and forth between fine and coarse, imperial and metric grids
> while working.
>
> A more ideal solution than tear-off menus is a customized non-modal
> dialog, window, or dockable toolbar of some sort that provides better
> control for specific features.

Inkscape features detachable toolbars and dialogs that can be placed off
window, anywhere on any monitor. Surely, they put al ot of thought in it.
Maybe, we can do as they do.

> For instance, instead of the predefined
> grid items on the Grid Size submenu, it could have the user-defined
> grids (see ânew grids for pcbâ feature that I REALLY WANT TO SEE) and
> it could use better widgets rather than being stuck with a linear list
> of menu items.

ack.
I like the fly-out widgets used by many mechanical cads. They can deliver
lots of functions in little space.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
UniversitÃt Hannover, Inst. fÃr Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211