Re: gEDA-user: pcb HID GUI options: gtk, lesstif?

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 14:29:50 -0400
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > That would play nice on a dual headed setup.
>
> One of my "dream projects" is to do a GUI for pcb that uses two or
> more monitors, with one monitor heavy on the toolbars and showing an
> overview "thumber" window, and the other monitor being 100% layout.

Split or multiple-view support was one of the requested features in the
Foss-pcb list linked to by the current geda-user âFoss-pcb Proposed plan
from CERNâ thread.

It seems that if pcb is designed using best-practice
model-view-controller design, then multiple views should be simple.
I know that it's never that easy, though, since even when you do try to
implement a model-view-controller design, when you have only a single
view it is easy to take shortcuts and use global state, etc., so there
are usually things to iron out.

> > There were fights against GTK people not to take tear-off menus from
> > gtk3. But they did AFAIK.
>
> The lesstif tear-off model isn't so hot either.  I've been considering
> writing my own from scratch to work around some of the weirdisms.

I used the tear-offs for grid size when it worked, so I could quickly
switch back and forth between fine and coarse, imperial and metric grids
while working.

A more ideal solution than tear-off menus is a customized non-modal
dialog, window, or dockable toolbar of some sort that provides better
control for specific features.  For instance, instead of the predefined
grid items on the Grid Size submenu, it could have the user-defined
grids (see ânew grids for pcbâ feature that I REALLY WANT TO SEE) and
it could use better widgets rather than being stuck with a linear list
of menu items.

Regards,
Colin