Re: gEDA-user: Foss-pcb Proposed plan from CERN

Peter Clifton wrote:

> For converting "legacy" designs, an import from gerber might be more
> generally useful to our user base, and doesn't require decyphering
> unknown file formats. Admittedly this looses footprint information, but
> perhaps that isn't always an issue.

Sometimes I would like to import eagle designs done at other intitutes.
In that case I need full access to schematic and footprints. A gerber
import would not do the trick.

>> How far did you advance on this road?
>
> Unpacking the container format, separating out individual footprints
> from a library, identifying most of the binary record types within those
> footprints. It would take time and examples to verify we can know the
> meaning of each field in the format, but that is only a time + effort
> job.

Cool. Any chance, you can fan out part of the job to volunteeers?

> I'll get hold of the guys I was working for and see if I can make a
> preliminary release of the findings made. (This was all done in the
> support of gEDA anyway).

What was the plan for the final product? Any license strings attached,
that would prevent distribution by super correct distros like Debian?

 ---<)kaimartin(>---

>> PS: Why did none of my todays posts hit the list, yet? (While others seem
>> to have no problem to get through within minutes)

Any answers to this one?
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
UniversitÃt Hannover, Inst. fÃr Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211