Re: gEDA-user: This patch is breaking compile

Hello Markus and all,

(English text starts after this paragraph. Nothing important here in German said.) danke für die Antwort (auf Deutsch! Viel einfacher für mich zu lesen ;-) ). Ich habe ein gewisses Interesse daran, dass die Patches eingepflegt werden, da ich PCB evtl. als GCode generator für meine CNC Fräse benutzen möchte, die zur Zeit mit der reprap-Software läuft (wenn ich das richtig rausgefunden habe, bist du/sie (blöde deutsche Sprache) bei dem Projekt auch aktiv, oder?). Werd jetzt trotzdem in englischer Sprache weiterschreiben, damit sich niemand ausgegrezt fühlt.

Thank you for the 'tutorial'. I have much other things to do, so I think it will need some days for me to review all your patches.

There has been some discussion already about Markus' patch-set which I will summarise here and add some own comments. Please everybody, give your comments.

- 0001 let the system library allocate the temporyary file: Alberto Maccioni wrote in his mail of 1. May 2011 that the temporary file is sometimes needed for checking the result. He suggested to add a switch weather the file should be removed or not. My suggestion: Don't use tmpfile(), but use the new function gcode_get_filename() from patch 0004 with an additional suffix for the filename '.png'.

- 0004 create better file names: Why should the default file-suffix be changed to '.cnc'? I suggest to apply this patch but let the default file-suffix as it is ('.gcode') for compatibility with probably existing scripts using this function.

- 0005 add a flag wether to procude advanced G-code: I will suggest to set the switch 'produce advanced G-code' to ON by default (backwards compatibility).

- 0007 switch from tool-radius to tool-diameter in the user interface: This patch breaks backwards compatibility, so have a little headache with it. I think, there is a possibility to mark the tool-radius setting as deprecated and support both options (for using the gcode-export with scripts). I have not done something like this - perhaps anyone have a hint? I would also prefer to have the tool-diameter in the user interface (as Markus' patch would do).

I have not reviewed the other patches completely (have stopped at 0010). I will write again, when I have new questions/suggestions.

If there are no negative comments in the next days I will do the changes I suggested and start to apply this patches step by step.

Kind regards,
Felix

By the way: Has anyone started to review the commandline-docu patches I have posted last Thursday (gEDA-user: PCB Docu: Patch for command-line options)?

@Kai-Martin: I did not forget about your patch for 'Select all connected items'