Re: gEDA-user: This patch is breaking compile

Am 25.08.2011 um 21:57 schrieb Felix Ruoff:

(wenn ich das richtig rausgefunden habe, bist du/sie (blöde deutsche Sprache) bei dem Projekt auch aktiv, oder?).

Yupp. I maintain the PCB Milling page in the wiki and created Generation 7 Electronics, which is designed to be millable.

- 0001 let the system library allocate the temporyary file: Alberto Maccioni wrote in his mail of 1. May 2011 that the temporary file is sometimes needed for checking the result. He suggested to add a switch weather the file should be removed or not. My suggestion: Don't use tmpfile(), but use the new function gcode_get_filename() from patch 0004 with an additional suffix for the filename '.png'.

Good idea. While I don't think looking at the PNG gives a reliable measure wether the produced G-code is usable, the PNG is at least always next to the file it refers to in a file browser.

- 0004 create better file names: Why should the default file-suffix be changed to '.cnc'? I suggest to apply this patch but let the default file-suffix as it is ('.gcode') for compatibility with probably existing scripts using this function.

The suffix doesn't really matter, as G-code compilers can't really agree on a common one. Go for it!

- 0005 add a flag wether to procude advanced G-code: I will suggest to set the switch 'produce advanced G-code' to ON by default (backwards compatibility).

Backwards compatibility vs. machine compatibility? Perhaps. I hope dialog settings survive relaunches of the application one day, so this will become a non-issue.

- 0007 switch from tool-radius to tool-diameter in the user interface: This patch breaks backwards compatibility, so have a little headache with it. I think, there is a possibility to mark the tool-radius setting as deprecated and support both options (for using the gcode-export with scripts). I have not done something like this - perhaps anyone have a hint? I would also prefer to have the tool-diameter in the user interface (as Markus' patch would do).

If I see things correctly, names in the HID setup are used for command line options as well. Can't see how to get a command-line- only option there.

To be honest, I don't care too much about keeping backwards compatibility, as the G-code exporter is apparently rarely used now and the switch to diameter will give easy to fix errors. This exporter is likely used mostly interactive anyways, as you have to check for errors - with a G-code viewer.

Good suggestions, Felix.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/