Re: gEDA-user: New gtk menu system

Andrew Poelstra wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 03:47:33PM -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:

>> A more general solution, and one that won't affect the accurate
>> representation of the layer color by the swatch, is to draw a 1 or 2
>> pixel wide border around the swatch when the mouse hovers over that
>> layer button.
>>

> I tried this at home. It seemed to draw too much attention to the
> swatch, and indicate "toggle me!" rather than "prelight".

It says "you can do something here", just like the items in a menu,
the mm/mil button, the tools buttons, the route styles and the scroll
bars do.

> IMHO, if
> we do anything to indicate prelighting, it should be (at least) as
> subtle as my color change.

Whether this highlighting is subtle or a glaring contrast depends on
the users GTK theme. I have seen both among the most downloaded themes
at gnome-look.org. This is a basically a user decision, not something,
the developers should care about.

> And I am not entirely sold that we should be doing anything.

Every item, that can be clicked should be highlighted on mouse-over.
Only items that cannot be clicked or dragged should stay silent. Surely,
the gnome HIG says something along these lines.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx