Re: gEDA-user: Re: hierarchy of schematics

AR wrote:
Werner Hoch wrote:
draw that circuit only once and reference it multiple times by the
"parent" schematic.
Maybe it's not that useful for pcb's, but it is for spice simulations.

What is missing is a
design "database" (a well-defined directory structure would do fine), with clear separation what is a symbol, schematics or other data.

We now have that in gnetman and datadraw. No one's spent the time to start using it yet though... If you have experience making good choices of data structures with databases, I urge you to read up the docs on gnetman and datadraw and suggest the structure that would make for hierarchic schematics.

I like the Cadence/Verilog/Icarus-verilog style. Busses or symbol ports are named like:

audio-l[11:0]. Ports on a symbol that appear as a single line and terminal dot can be busses containing a thousand wires if you like.

John G