Re: gEDA-user: Gerbv with OpenGL

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 19:18 -0600, John Griessen wrote:
> Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > This uses Cairo to render into a memory buffer, and then we use that
> on
> > a GL context created with GtkGLExt.
>

> > I mainly knocked this up to play with some OpenGL coding, and as a
> test
> > for a 3D SpaceNavigator "joystick" (6 axis, used for navigating 3D
> > objects / worlds).
> >

> Wow,   going 3D is that easy you did it in a day?

Its not 3D really, its a plane with a painted texture on it. If you
wanted tracks with height, extruded from copper, THAT would take serious
work ;)

Its also rough around the edges.. I need to fix the code which allocates
enough memory to render a given size of board. (For playing so far, I
just allocated enough memory for the board I was testing with)

> The 3d of several planes at heights would be a good 3D model of a
> stuffed board...for box planning purposes...

I was thinking it would be easy enough to do the layer stackup in GL,
assuming we depth-sort them. That is inexpensive for our application...
expensive for 3D geometry in a big un-ordered data-set.

I do have the urge (but not time) to find some 3D models for components.

> So, how fast could you hook pcb to blender?  (Just kidding, sort of...)

I've not used blender.. doing this properly as a 3D model is going to be
a lot more work than a quick trick to use OpenGL for rendering the image
of the board.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,