gEDA-user: Gerbv with OpenGL

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 15:10 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:

> Here is another teaser..
> http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/gerbv_translucent.png

And another...

This is getting less "useful", but more pretty..

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/gerbv_GL.png

This uses Cairo to render into a memory buffer, and then we use that on
a GL context created with GtkGLExt. This allows 3D perspective views (if
we want), and potentially introduces a way to bypass slow rendering.

Whilst zooming (in at least), it is possible to use the same textures,
letting OpenGL zoom right in, and then redraw the texture at this
resolution (I've not tried to implement this yet, I'm just rendering at
reasonable resolution once, then using that).

This isn't so helpful with zooming out unfortunately, as we don't
particularly want to cache a texture of the whole board at very fine
resolution.

I mainly knocked this up to play with some OpenGL coding, and as a test
for a 3D SpaceNavigator "joystick" (6 axis, used for navigating 3D
objects / worlds).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,