Re: gEDA-user: Gerbv with OpenGL

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 20:42 -0500, evan foss wrote:
> Do you have the option of disabling the opengl code at run time if you
> want or is it compiled in?

Not only is it compiled in, the board size is hard-coded. (Its a demo so
far..) I wanted to see how fast it might work with different rendering
schemes. I'd have posted code if it wasn't full of _evil_ hacks at the
moment. Once I've a better feel for the direction this might go in, I
can tidy up the code and make it useful.

Surprisingly, it wouldn't be too hard to switch out the GL code if
desired. You just replace some setup code, and bits of the expose,
configure and realize handlers for the drawing area.

The one rendering method which I wanted to try out (but haven't had
satisfactory results from yet) is using the cairo-glitz backend to make
cairo-calls do native OpenGL things. It was even slower than native
Cairo when I tried... felt like it must have been hitting loads of
software fallbacks in mesa.

Whether the 3D has any useful purpose other than looking "bling" and to
help me learn little GL programming, is debatable. Still.. many packages
can / do provide 3D board views.. I'm just not sure if gerbv is the
right place for it.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton