Re: gEDA-user: Heavy Symbols and such

Bob Paddock <bob.paddock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The BOM should be the master document that populates everything.
>
> [...]
>
> Obviously people on this list are dealing with schematics and PCBs,
> so we tend to think of the schematic as the "master",
> but in the contracting environment the BOM is what rules everything.

Yes, you've hit the nail right on the head!  That's exactly how I do it
in uEDA, gEDA's evil twin.

In uEDA the master source code for a board is an ASCII text file named
MCL, which stands for Master Component List.  It is not a generated file
and it isn't edited by any GUI, instead you create and edit it in vi and
source-control it with SCCS/RCS/CVS/pick-your-favourite.  The MCL is
where you enter footprints, cap & resistor values, orderable part
numbers, etc.

uEDA has no GUI though, *all* design entry is done in vi.  When the uEDA
suite is complete, you'll be able to enter your design in vi, then run
'make' and get:

* A bundle of M4-generated PCB footprints to hand over to your PCB
  layout contractor;
* Various BOM forms (the MCL is a BOM in itself, but there are other BOM
  forms too that can be generated from it);
* Printable schematics in PostScript;
* Netlist file to be loaded into PCB (by you or your layout contractor).

The first 2 bullet points are there already, the last 2 aren't there
yet.  I plan to implement the latter by designing a gschem-like
ASCII-based "schematic source code" format, but with one critical
difference from the gschem one: instead of attributes in the schematic
source file itself, all that information will be taken from the MCL.
The complete source code for a board will thus consist of the MCL, the
*.usch schematic source files (one per page just like gschem's *.sch)
and the Makefile.  The MCL and the Makefile form the top-level notion of
"project" which some people complain the gEDA suite lacks.

MS