Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb update

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 09:48 -0500, Ian Chapman wrote:
> [...]

gsch2pcb will want to read any .sym file you have placed in your
schematic. For the heavy symbol case, the footprint=... attribute will
be found in that file, not the schematic.

gnetlist is run by gsch2pcb to do part of the work, and that should load
in your gafrc file (which is I presume where you've specified any
non-default component search locations).

If you've not got this already, try adding something like

(component-library "./")

to a file called gafrc in the same dir as the project.

(Or use an absolute path)

I presume you might have something like this already, or you probably
wouldn't have been able to place the symbol in gschem in the first
place.

> gsch2pcb expects to find the argument to --elements-dir as a directory,
> and it will want to find a "foo.fp" file in that directory for any
> component with "footprint=foo".
>
> 	I'm okay there.  Ian

Ok, thats good. The ".fp" on the end of your directory name confused me.

> 	I managed to generate gerbers just dumping the dot.fp on PCB.  I
> only need the drill and top silk, the top silk was okay but the unplated
> drill was toast.  Ian

I'm not sure why the unplated drill file has problems. Most of the time,
people just use plated drills.. as fabs often charge more for unplated
drills. (It requires a second pass through the drilling machine).

The PCB Gui has no easy way I remember to specifically get a non-plated
hole though. I presume you found the "action" command which sets /
unsets the plated flag? (If not, the is the symptom that the unplated
holes turned up in the plated drill holes file?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,