Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

On Dec 19, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Andy Peters wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2007, at 8:34 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>

>>> That is true. But why do we need this? Why should pcb know that the
>>> attribute "value=LM2596" came from a database, or from manual input,
>>> script generated?
>>
>> I'm thinking of the case where an attribute is defaulted by some BOM
>> manager because it's the only option that fits.  For example, if you
>> pick a manufacturer's part number and a preferred vendor, the vendor
>> part number is defaulted.  This is different than picking a vendor
>> part number and letting the manufacturer be defaulted.
>
> This is the argument (one with which I agree) for using your own
> organization-internal part numbers for each component. Some database
> can then map the internal part number to one or more vendor part
> numbers for purchasing.

That's one issue. But another is prototype versus production. For
prototype parts, you try to choose what you can procure in small
quantities *today*. For production, other issues come into play. In
aerospace, every single part may change from prototype to flight,
even if there are no schematic changes at all.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx