Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

On Dec 19, 2007, at 2:56 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2007, at 3:52 PM, Ivan Stankovic wrote:
>>> Is there any barrier to integrating gattrib with gschem?  I think
>>> I'd
>>> be
>>> happy with being able to pop up gattrib as a gigantic modal dialog.
>>
>> I had actually proposed just that some months ago (it was on IRC),
>> but the idea was dismissed as unnecessary and complicated, if I
>> recall
>> correctly. Personally, I think integrating gattrib with gschem (as
>> in:
>> gattrib-in-gschem would just be gschem's attribute dialog on
>> steroids)
>> makes perfect sense.
>
>    As do I.  I've always thought that gattrib's functionality being
> implemented as a separate program is a bit odd.  I think there should
> be a menu choice like "Edit all component attributes..." which would
> bring up what we now see as gattrib's main window.

To me, it's the other way around. The schematic editor is a graphic
tool, and should concentrate on graphics ("A program should do one
thing well"). Attributes are text, and should be entered and edited
by a text-oriented tool. For attributes visible in the schematic, the
schematic editor should be able to read the attributes, but it need
not be able to write them.

A corollary is that attribute sets belong in a separate file (or set
of files) from the schematics.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx