Re: gEDA-user: blue sky ideas - written down finally

On Dec 27, 2009, at 11:47 PM, Dave N6NZ wrote:
> Anybody that wants physical schematics has never worked on anything
> larger than a homework assignment.

   Wha...?

   I frequently perform component-level diagnosis and repairs on
PDP-11 computers.  They are most certainly larger than a "homework
assignment".  This is a processor (yes, all those boards) in a
PDP-11/70:

   http://www.neurotica.com/albums/pdp1170/DSCN1161.JPG
   http://www.neurotica.com/albums/pdp1170/DSCN1164.JPG

   Such repairs would be pretty much impossible without the full
component- and gate-level schematics I have for these machines, of
which this is an example of one page:

   http://www.neurotica.com/misc/kb11c-117.png

   One or more high-level "logical" schematics, block diagrams really
form a sort of "table of contents" for the rest of the schematic.
Each block contains a page number or a range of page numbers which
contain the actual component- and gate-level schematics for the
subsystem described in that block.

   The schematics are printed on 11"x17" paper.  The ones for the
PDP-11/70 processor mentioned above are about 300 pages.

   I have PDFs of these schematics, gigabytes worth, and I print out
pages as needed on my laser printer that handles 11"x17" paper.  I do
have paper originals of most of these schematics but I tend to use
the PDFs more because the paper is going on 40 years old and I don't
want to add too much wear.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire