Re: gEDA-user: Random thoughts on the future interface of PCB

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 12:16 +0100, Kovacs Levente wrote:

> In the other hand, I think we should concentrate on the priorities first. I
> know it will hurt some, but.... We have 2 (or more) autorouter. I know that
> they are nice, and usable, and required

Not a bad thing IMO.. and the toporouter not only looks like it will be
able to do excellent routing, its quality output will attract users to
the software. That in turn helps attract development effort (or funding
for it).

>  but we have rounding errors in the code as well.

Are you thinking of the metric/imperial stuff, or the numerical issues
present which keep causing the occasional bug with polygon
intersections?

If the latter, I've not got been able to implement the suggested snap
rounding algorithm, but did have an attempt at getting some of the
prerequisite Bentely Ottman intersection routines in place.

(There's a branch for that ;)), No it doesn't work properly, and yes,
I've virtually abandoned it for now.. other more pressing things to fix.

> Which is important? We have 3D view, but we don't have negative
> layers. I'm sorry, if I annoy anyone. I just want you to see my point.

3D view came very very easily and cheaply from work I was doing which I
would deem to be of VASTLY greater importance than negative layers.

PCB's rendering is SLOW. Layers are OPAQUE, so working on multi-layer
boards with lots of planes is near impossible. This barrier to use needs
removing, and my pcb+gl branch addresses those shortcomings.

Since GL is a 3D API, adjusting the projection / modelview matrices to
present the board in 3D is _REALLY_ easy. (Granted, 3D models of
components was just an amusing distraction)

Still, this is the kind of thing which differentiates us (badly) from
other packages which CAN model boards in 3D with components. If this
costs us users, it costs the project.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,