Re: gEDA-user: Text in PCB elements

DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Layers in the footprint have to be mapped according to the principle
>> of least surprise.
>
> Last we talked of this, I mentioned symbolic layer tags vs physical
> layer tags.  So footprints would have top/inner/bottom layers, boards
> would have 1(top)/2/3/4(bottom) layers.

How about 1(top),2(inner),3(top2),4(bot2),5(inner),6(bottom)?

I.e., nothing special about (top) and (bottom), except that canonical
footprint libraries should define (top)(inner)(bottom) layers.

But I could define special footprints for edge connectors on rigid-flex
boards, that have their pads on the flex layers (top2)(bot2), and no
(top)(inner)(bottom) layers.  What I'd really need is

 1(top),2(inner),3(inner,top2),4(inner,bot2),5(inner),6(bottom)?

to use standard footprints on the rigid part, but I guess, that's then
up to my special library to fix.

> Yes, mapping everything is the tricky part.

Do it very general, then it's less tricky. Right, John? :-)

--
Stephan