Re: gEDA-user: Resistor valuesâ

John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> One "crazy" configuration was to reduce the number of bits/photon to
> one, and thereby achieve two orders of magnitude better time
> resolution than most people thought necessary while staying within
> data transmission restrictions. I'm told that this has been the most
> common configuration. Give people capability, they figure out how to
> use it! But give them what they say they want, they'll use it once,
> discover that they really wanted more than they said.

There has never been a physics experiment where any excess time
resolution did not lead to usefull discoveries.

> But the real truth is that R&QA in NASA focuses on deflecting blame
> from management. We have rigorous bureaucratic procedures hiding
> endemic sloppy thinking. This costs massive amounts of money,

thus feeding the economy, and people,

> and sometimes kills people.

well, nothing is for free.

You are lucky to work for NASA projects.  With ESA this overhead is
trippled, and European multinational politics mixed in.

All the NASA QA, reviews, and stuff were annoying at first, but in the
end there always were smart people asking the right questions at the
right time to the right people.  With ESA, its bureaucrats running
though questionnaires they do not understand, that cannot be answered
because they do not apply to the phase the project is in.  Most
important is to make sure each nation gets its fair share of the pie.

Here in town, at the Baltic Sea, we have a board house that makes
military grade PCBs.  Their boards were passing NASA inspection with
flying colors, and are about to be launched to Mars.  When we asked this
board house about prototypes for an ESA mission, they told us they will
not do any business with us for ESA projects. Period.  Impossible.  The
overhead kills it.

--
Stephan