Re: gEDA-user: scripting (was Resistor values???)

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 08:51:19PM +0100, Stephan Boettcher wrote:
> John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Dec 29, 2010, at 6:23 AM, Stephan Boettcher wrote:
> >
> >>  I can imagine that it's not a lot, since this is really a classical
> >> case for said design pattern.
> >
> > The real difficulty here is the complexity of the Guile<->C
> > interface. The functions and data on the C side are accessible to the
> > midlayer only to the extent that somebody does the (difficult) work of
> > exporting them. The C front end is very procedural, performing much
> > semantic processing regardless of whether the back end ever requests
> > the results. Not a good match to the factored, functional approach.
>
> Than that is the interface that needs to be morphed according to the
> prescribed pattern: the C<->Guile interface.
>
> And when that's the case, a clean C-API that can be exported to Guile,
> Python, Ruby, C++, Fortran, ... just dreaming.

I once started to do that to PCB usign libgpmi, and got a plugin that
exports a small portion of PCB internals through some sort of higher
level APIs to any scripting language libgpmi supports (10 at the
moment).

After scripting 1-2 plugins I really needed, development stalled, as I
am the only user of the plugin. I think you'd get the same for a similar
project around gschem, as gschem developers already speak guile so
having other scripting languages will be interesting only as a
theoretical possibility, not as a practical feature. At least, with my
pcb-gpmi plugin feedback always was "wow, very nice, very interesting,
will try some day".

Btw, I still use it weekly, since I have a nice (partial) HPGL exporter
written in awk.

Regards,

Tibor