Re: gEDA-user: Christmas wishlist

kai-martin knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Bob Paddock wrote:
>
>>> This is a DRC issue. The rules should allow any net to connect
>>> to no-net copper. No need to restructure the way pcb handles
>>> connectivity.
>>
>> If different nets connect to the same no-net copper there is a short
>> between nets.
>
> Of course, connectivity needs to be recalculated (automatically)
> after a net has been connected to a no-net. As a consequence, the
> no-net copper will have been converted to what ever net it was
> connected to.

Maybe it is important to recognise, that DRC and LVS are completely
orthogonal in PCB, and I think that is a good property, that should be
kept.

DRC (DesignRule Check) does not consider the netlist.  It checks the
connectivity of all copper, and verifies the rules for connected and
not-connected copper.

LVS (Layout vs Schematic) checks that the copper connections between
pins matches the netlist, without checking for DRC rules.

Distinguishing between net and no-net copper will break this separation.
This should not be done lightly.

--
Stephan