Re: gEDA-user: A Suggestion FOR Karel

Marvin Dickens wrote:

> PCB is approaching two decades in age. [...]

Obviously there are two BTS issues:

1) There is (currently?) is BTS for gschem and friends

2) The BTS for pcb is not mentioned on the gEDA site.

> Did you know that PCB is its own project and is not part of gEDA?

Well, the geda site is a bit ambiguous on that subject. There is "gEDA",
there is "gaf" and there is "gEDA/gaf".
And there is this quote from the first page of http://geda.seul.org/
/---------
| Currently, the gEDA project offers  [...] and printed circuit board
| (PCB) layout.
\---------

Anyway, to me as a user it should be irrelevant where the developers
draw the line between the projects.

> never bothered read the most basic of text files that shipped with the
> program.

I installed the Debian package. The install did not produce any error
and I was able to follow the tutorial. Why should I bother to read the
INSTALL file? (Of course, I would, if I encountered problems). I'd spend
months, if I thoroughly read the README files of half the packages on my
system in advance.
And no, if I discover a bug, I usually do not check check whether the
project maintains a BTS. Instead I report the bug to the Debian BTS and
the Debian maintainer will forward the report to upstream. This system
is IMHO more efficient than reporting every bug directly to the
corresponding developer.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak