Re: gEDA-user: DB9 -> DE9

On 2/25/06, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Unless you like to have the symbol reflect the physical layout, in
> which case you end up with two symbols with different pinouts too.

Why is this even an issue?  Literally *so* many textbooks and websites
and schematics have it wrong that nearly anyone would recognize DB9*
for what it really is.

That being said, experience using gEDA to develop the schematics for
the Kestrel-1 computer has lead me to include a file hierarchy similar
to that exposed in the tutorials, but with one difference: the symbols
directory is the *exclusive* source for project symbols.

This solves a number of problems.  First, it allows me to
pick-and-choose parts from gEDA's standard library, then modify them
to suit my needs on an as-needed basis.  Second, when I distribute the
schematics, it ensures that all the symbols I used to render the
schematics are present.

This way, if you wish to refer to the proper name for the connector,
you can rename it to DE9F.sym and DE9M.sym if required, while leaving
the stock library as-is.

But, you say, that means that each project will require its own symbol
librarian?  From what I recall reading elsewhere in this mailing list,
this is what ends up happening almost all the time anyway, for pretty
much the same reasons.  Maybe I misunderstood, but for me, this system
works great.  :)

--
Samuel A. Falvo II